Following the success of our new Merton street opera Drifting Dragons in 2016, we announced our summer 2017 street opera production of Mozart’s Cosi Fan Tutte. It’s a story about love and friendship, cheating, and testing the one you love. Both funny and moving, audiences loved following our characters’ rather complicated love lives taking place on the streets of Merton!
Our performances were completely FREE and unticketed in a variety of places in Merton – popping up in cafes, pubs, supermarkets, libraries and even at the bus stop! The audience followed our story while hearing the beautiful music as people went about their normal life.
We re-imagined the 3 hour opera sung in Italian with full orchestra for the Merton high streets – it’s was edited to about an hour, the music re-arranged for 3 instruments suitable for promenade performance (violin, accordion and bassoon) by exciting young composer/conductor Leo Geyer, and with a new modern English libretto written by director Joanna Turner. As it was free and unticketed the audience could stay to watch the whole story or just a bit.
We partnered again with Merton Music Foundation to offer local schools complimentary workshops teaching young people about opera, and with organisations such as the New Horizon Centre and Merton & Morden Guild to engage local elderly people with this fantastic story of love, confusion and betrayal.
Blog Posts on Cosi Fan Tutte
- 2017 A year in review
- Transforming sleek city bankers to grungey surfers...
- 5 Star Review & OffWestEnd Award Nomination
- Chatting to Wandsworth Radio about Street Opera
- Cosi Fan Tutte performances in full swing!
- Excited about singing in the supermarket? We ask our Cosi cast....
- Extra Cosi Fan Tutte date added!! Wimbledon Piazza Sunday 6th August
- Do you think opera is for you?
- Cosi Fan Tutte Street Opera Performance Dates
- Help us take opera to the high street!
- Cosi Fan Tutte Cast Announced
- Probably not one for the opera purists!
- Which Cosi character would you most like to go on a date with?
- "I'd date Guglielmo if he was filled with marshmallows..."
- Come and see Cosi Fan Tutte in development!
- Cosi Fan Tutte R&D Instrumentalists
- Cosi Fan Tutte Workshop Leaders
- Announcing our Cosi Fan Tutte R&D Cast
- Announcing our new production
DATES: 27th July – 6th August 2017
There were nine performance locations across the Merton borough.
|Thursday 27th July||5 pm||TOOTING (starting at Gorringe Park Pub, SW17 9HW)|
|Friday 28th July||12.45pm||POLLARDS HILL (starting at New Horizon Centre cafe, CR4 1LT)|
|Friday 28th July||5 pm||RAYNES PARK (starting at the Raynes Park Tavern, SW20 0LA)|
|Wed 2nd August||1 pm||COLLIERS WOOD (starting at M&S Cafe, Savacentre/The Qube, SW19 1DD)|
|Thurs 3rd August||1 pm||MORDEN (starting on the forecourt outside the Civic Centre, SM4 5DX)|
|Thurs 3rd August||5 pm||WIMBLEDON (starting at Patisserie Valerie, Wimbledon Piazza, SW19 1QB)|
|Friday 4th August||1 pm||MITCHAM (starting at the Kings Arms, CR4 3HD)|
|Saturday 5th August||4 pm||WIMBLEDON VILLAGE (starting at the Dog & Fox, SW19 5EA)|
|Sunday 6th August||3 pm||WIMBLEDON (starting at Wimbledon Piazza, SW19 1QB)|
Our Supporters for this production
The production is kindly supported by the Arts Council, Merton Council, Wimbledon Foundation, Lucille Graham Trust, The Humphrey Richardson Taylor Charitable Trust, The Golsoncott Foundation, The London Community Foundation, Cockayne and individual donors.