We are thrilled and delighted to announce our new production of Johann Strauss’ Die Fledermaus re-imagined as a street opera performance with scenes popping up in shops, pubs, libraries and supermarkets enabling everyone to experience high quality professional opera for free.
Funded by the Wimbledon Foundation’s new Arts and Community Engagement Fund (ACE), Arts Council England, Merton Council and the Samuel Gardner Memorial Trust, this production follows on from the success of our two previous Merton Street Operas Drifting Dragons and Cosi Fan Tutte. Like these previous productions, Die Fledermaus will be cut to approximately an hour, with a new modern English libretto, and scenes popping up along the high street and with the audience free to follow our characters down the street or just watch one scene. Die Fledermaus is a hugely fun, often silly story with some brilliant characters and very catchy tunes. Die Fledermaus means ‘The Revenge of the Bat’ but in our modern version Bat Man may play a role instead! The music has some waltzes this time round so hope you fancy waltzing down the high street with us!
We are delighted that this adaptation will be by our same team as for Cosi Fan Tutte – the talented Leo Geyer re-writing the music and Baseless Fabric Artistic Director Joanna Turner re-writing the libretto.
The amazing ACE fund over 2018-2019 will enable us not only to adapt Die Fledermaus for the high street and present the free unticketed performances across Merton and Wandsworth but also allows us to continue and develop our extensive outreach programme teaching even more young people across South London about opera and engaging even more elderly who may not be able to follow our promenade performance live along the high street. Partnering again with the brilliant Merton Music Foundation and local children’s charity Jigsaw4u we are thrilled to be able to offer these exciting opportunities.
Stay tuned! It’s an exciting time for the Baseless Fabric team!
Blog Posts on Die Fledermaus
- Die Fledermaus first road trip!
- And the word was FUN!
- 2018, what a year...
- So which superhero are you?
- Our School Parallel Production Workshop Leaders!
- Fancy a sneak peek of our new street opera?
- Our school parallel productions of Die Fledermaus
- Announcing the Cast of Die Fledermaus
- From a full orchestra to just 3 instruments...
- Re-imagining opera for the high street: the libretto
- School kids considering a career in opera!
- Interview at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships
- Die Fledermaus School Workshops
- Sharing Creative Skills…
- Our new production supported by Wimbledon Foundation