1854: London’s cemeteries are full. The London Necropolis Railway is built in Waterloo station to transport the dead outside the city. 2015: London’s cemeteries are filling. The line is re-opening. And you’ve got a ticket. Baseless Fabric invite you onboard for this promenade performance about the fact you’re going to die one day.
A First Class Death uses the fascinating history of Waterloo’s vaults to explore the attitudes and rituals around dying today. The piece will challenge, entertain and involve the audience as they move through the local area and the atmospheric Cavern space, once a repository for the dead awaiting their final journey.
Rachael Smith, A Younger Theatre
Jason Hall – Playwright
- It's our 5th Birthday!
- Do you want to experience a Death Cafe?
- Did you know Waterloo used to transport dead bodies by train?
- Introducing our fantastic 'A First Class Death' cast
- Get involved with our production!
- A perfect funeral? Behind the scenes with a funeral director
- 10% Off 'A First Class Death' and Q&A on Thursday 5th Feb
- Some rather unusual research at Waterloo Station....
- A FIRST CLASS DEATH VAULT FESTIVAL TICKETS ON SALE NOW!!
- A First Class Death coming Feb at VAULT Festival
Dates & Times:
4th – 8th February 2015
21:10 Wed-Sun and 16.40 matinees Sat & Sun
Thursday & Sunday: 10% off
Thursday: Post performance Q&A (optional & inc in ticket price)
A short part of this performance takes place outside. Please dress sensibly.
Address: Leake St, Waterloo, London, SE1 7NN