For Baseless Fabric Joanna has directed Reunion & Dark Pony (Libraries Week), Cosi Fan Tutte (Merton Street Opera), Drifting Dragons (Merton Street Opera & Grimeborn Festival, Arcola Theatre), A Secret Life (Theatre 503), A First Class Death (VAULT Festival). She also wrote the new English libretto for Cosi Fan Tutte & Die Fledermaus.
Other directing credits include Battersea Odyssey (Lightbox Theatre), A Little Princess (University of Cumbria), Opera Scenes (Morley Opera and Leeds College of Music), The Price (Theatre Uncut at the Bussey Building), Do You Wish to Continue? (Theatre 503), Nine Stories High (Wrexham Soap Opera, Welsh National Opera), The Withered Arm (Tête à Tête: The Opera Festival, Riverside Studios), You’re It (Southwark Playhouse) Paperweight (Liverpool Everyman Young Writers Programme), Can You See Me Yet? (Brockley Jack) and Treasure This? at the Bush Theatre in collaboration with Theatre Delicatessen for the Bush Bazaar.
As Associate Director Joanna has worked at New York City Opera with Tim Albery and Vlaamse Opera, Belgium with Daniel Kramer. Previously she worked as Assistant Director at Opera North, Welsh National Opera, Shakespeare’s Globe and Exeter Northcott. She was Jerwood Assistant Director at the Young Vic in 2011. Directors assisted include Katie Mitchell, Daniel Kramer and Lucy Bailey.
Joanna has worked as a script reader for Liverpool Everyman and Manchester Royal Exchange including for the Bruntwood Prize, and as a youth theatre leader at the Orange Tree Theatre and Hackney Music Development Trust.
The Press on Joanna Turner:
Rachael Smith, A Younger Theatre
Related Blog Posts:
- 2018, what a year...
- Fancy a sneak peek of our new street opera?
- Re-imagining opera for the high street: the libretto
- Interview at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships
- "Altogether I’m sure Mozart would agree it couldn’t be bettered!”
- Announcing Cosi Fan Tutte 2018!
- Our new production supported by Wimbledon Foundation
- Team Cosi Fan Tutte at the Offies Awards Ceremony!
- Designing a production for six libraries across South London
- Probably not one for the opera purists!
- Merton Creative Networking Event
- Drifting Dragons Cast Announced